2010-02 Incubator VCL Report
VCL has been incubating since December 2008. VCL is a cloud computing platform for the management of physical and virtual machines.
- The Apache VCL community continues to grow. We're seeing more and more people start to contribute to our online documentation and file JIRA issues
- some with patches attached.
- We're seeing more feature requests come in which means more people are using VCL.
- More people have joined the vcl-dev list and are asking questions as they install VCL at new locations.
- Aaron Peeler, Andy Kurth, and Josh Thompson have become part of the PPMC.
First Official Release¶
- Our first official release (Apache VCL 2.1) was made available on Dec. 4th, 2009.
- We set a small number of features to work on for the next few releases in hopes of getting releases out more quickly.
3rd Party Dependencies¶
Procedures for handling 3rd party dependencies have been worked out. All dependencies that have incompatible licenses are now specified as "System Requirements" as stated under "System Requirements" at http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
- A large amount of documentation has been added to the project's Confluence site
- People from multiple organizations have contributed to improving the documentation, both by editing the pages themselves and by pointing out areas for improvement on the lists
- A new confluence space has been created to be used for managing the official documentation for the project. Documentation that should be included with releases will be migrated from the existing confluence space to the new one, and the autoexport of the space will be cron copied to our official documentation location. Work on this migration has not started.
All unresolved issues reported in our 2009-11 report have been resolved.
Top Issues Before Graduation¶
- Continue to increase contributors from multiple institutions